Friday, January 05, 2007

Long Leap Towards...Trekking...(Part 2...)

We were to do the highest peak in maharashtra first (nice start to a trekking carrier, right??? ) and hence we got down to the very small village of “Bari”, where they had a orange coloured archway , that welcomed trekkers to the peak. Another bad news hit us that one of the tents that we were to be used got left behind in the bus. Now, after traveling for 4-5 hrs and taking accepting everything we were ready to ascend that peak. With a walk that began at 2 pm, we were expected to reach the top at 6pm. And to my great surprise we did, with enough time to look back at how overrated climb to the summit was. Anything, anybody else says is totally NA for me, cause I had done the highest peak with enough time to see the sunset and that also on my first ever trek.
The way back was a bit more fun, with only some torches all we were depending upon was a few beams of light to get us back down. I had a torch, I had carried everything (Don’t laugh, but even a toothbrush and a paste…), and I had the opportunity to play a small cricket match while getting down. It was really fun, getting down with the person with the torch getting down, then showing the torch to others to get them down. After passing the baton of light Atleast a 100 times around and after a couple of hours we reached the village, where we were to stay for the night. Reheating the parathas on a vessel and a portable gas which took a hell lot of a time, we had our first hot meal, and knowing that we had cleared the first hurdle, we went to sleep with the hope of a nice beautiful sunrise that will bring a new light to our day that was really tiring.
The next morning passed of, like a express train running out of control. Nothing made sense, waking up, walking to find a good shelter for removing waste from your body, going back, making tea, putting your sleeping bag, back in the bag, and then finally knowing that we had a nice steep 5 hr climb up to what was supposedly a site in heaven. I was not in that big a hurry to take my place in heaven, but then it didn’t mind to get Atleast a taste of it. So with all our luggage (you wont call my bag a sack, cause it was a schoolbag, with my sleeping bag secured to the top of the bag with nylon ropes.) I knew I was prepared for what was not needed. Unnecessary necessary things, that would trouble me all the way up, even if not all but Atleast half way. 1 and the only thing I am and was afraid of and am, is my small mouth who thinks it is a 24hr medical shop, always ready to supply what people demanded. So our walk started and even though I would, call it tiring, it was nevertheless entertaining. I got my first ever lesson on butterflies (the small but colourful insects.) I never understand why they are called so, yeah I know any living being with 6 legs is called a insect, but its not fair. We should call the teddies. Not only that, but I also survived to play the second innings of the match we played yesterday. The leaders had all the elements you ever required, poetic, singers, comedians, strict, entertaining, and more than anything else human. I mean , after trekking with so many groups, I have had many experiences, 1 being where I was told, not to take a picture of a butterfly, because I was a participant. So after being accompanied by the leaders to the camp, I was really tired, we entered to what they called heaven. And believe me, it was really more like being in clouds than in heaven. Very Cold… you know… but it was beautiful. And I still think it is The Perfect campsite. A small stream flows on the left, supplying you nice clean water. Good jungle cover, for putting up a good campsite. A nice big fall down, making sure you don’t sleep walk. Having reached the midway point, we were to camp there, and I was introduced to how to put up a tent. It was fun. The pegs, the rain cover, the hood and I didn’t know the names…but whatever they were, it was good putting them together. After making thousands of permutable combinations, we finally put up a tent that was allowed to have only 6 people in its stomach, but we had already lost a tent and hence, we had to do a bit of adjusting. Hence all the odd 35 people had to accommodate, 2 people more in each tent. Later we learnt that the 12 leaders , slept in a tent of 6. I don’t remember the night much, but it was quite warm. I don’t know what caused that, but it was warm.

No comments: