Friday, January 05, 2007

Long Leap Towards...Trekking...(Part 1...)

For the past 2 years I have been addicted to a very healthy habit of trekking. Don’t know how I did get attracted to it nor who or what forced me to do it. But now when I look back I remember the first trek that simply and still is the best trek I have done ever. I think this will be my first really serious blog about travel but that doesn’t matter does it? It still is a travel blog.
I had taken up engineering diploma after my 10th standard examinations, thus getting myself surrounded into a pile of 30-40 inches thick textbooks. My college was more like a 9 to 5 job. Literally. All my school friends, if there were any, had taken up 11th with no other aim than to see who has the lowest college attendance. Hence forgotten to world, lived mihir, totally unknown to the fact that many other beautiful things were there to see.
Every new years till then was more like a hazy morning to me. Each year was the same, and even though each year we did something different, I could not remember what exactly I did. That year, a friend who runs and ran a trekking business asked me wether I would like to join them for what they called “New Year’s Trek”. The simple idea being the fact that leaving behind all the silly fried and ever present wafers, you reach up to the second highest fort in maharashtra and see rise of the new year, in clear skies and way above the world. Technically 1870m above sea level.
Thus after long deliberation, and convincing my parents of the fact that I was totally fit to do that trek, I left my mothers clouded eyes, which kept repeating, “How shall we celebrate the new years without you”… that’s the best moral boost you could ever get while leaving for a journey. Since I was on my first trek I was under the vague and beautiful impression that at the mountaintop/ forttop, I could call my parents on their mobile and wish them (remember the fact that, I was still wayyy to young to have a mobile.)
So we met and the trek, which was supposed to be comfortable with a very big private bus, turned out to be very sweaty due to the totally overfull State Transport Bus. Not only did we have to make up for being late, but the hunger had to be controlled by eating fruits and seeing to it that we did not make juices out of them and made the jhabbas of the villagers taste them…

No comments: